Support for Veterans and their Families
From the DRA President.
Many of you have been watching the distressing scenes in Afghanistan and the similarity of these scenes with those from the downfall of Saigon in South Vietnam in 1975.
We need to be mindful of the frustration and despair that many of our veterans who served in Afghanistan and in Vietnam will feel at this time.
The Minister for Veterans’ Affairs, Andrew Gee, today spoke to a number of Ex Service Organisations, including the DRA, and urged them to take all appropriate steps to support these veterans. Please reach out to any one you know who served in these theatres of war and their families, and offer them your support.
Advise them that they can also contact:
• Lifeline Australia – 13 11 14
• Suicide Call Back Service – 1300 659 467
• Open Arms (current and ex-serving ADF personnel and their families can seek this free and confidential support) – 1800 011 046
• ADF Mental Health All-hours Support Line (for current serving ADF personnel and their families) – 1800 628 036.
• Safe Zone Support (for current and ex-serving ADF personnel and their families) – 1800 142 072.
See also the Media Release from Minister for Defence Personnel and Veterans’ Affairs, dated 18 August 2021 and titled:
Ex-Service Organisations convene support for Afghan Veterans