2021 National Conference Outcomes
"If you want peace, prepare for war: the contingent role and tasks for the ADF Reserves".
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, movement around Australia was restricted and thus the DRA conducted its annual conference utilising a hybrid model where interested parties could attend in person or as virtual attendees via a Webinar.
The conference program provided optimal opportunities to discuss what the Government would demand from the Reserves in preparing for war; how this would be achieved by the ADF; where, in terms of role and tasks, the Government and ADF might employ the Reserves; and, when, in terms of the mobilisation process, the Reserves are likely to be deployed?
A copy of the program and timings can be downloaded here.
The National Conference and Webinar was held on Saturday 14 August 2021 from 8:50am to 5:00pm Australian Central Standard Time (ACST).
For those attending in person - the conference was held at the Naval, Military and Air Force Club of South Australia, 111 Hutt Street, Adelaide, South Australia.
The conference was followed by a joint service all ranks formal dinner from 7:00pm.
John Herrmann of Yalumba Wines kindly donated the wines. The after-dinner speaker was Michael Davis AO, Space Lawyer. Partners were welcome.
The conference was addressed by a panel of distinguished speakers:
- Hon Peter Dutton MP, Minister for Defence
- Hon Brendan O’Connor MP, Shadow Minister for Defence
- Air Vice-Marshal Robert Chipman AM CSC, Head Military Strategic Commitments Division
- CDRE Michael Turner CSM RAN, Director General Force Exploration
- Mr Michael Shoebridge Director of Defence, Strategy & National Security Program, Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI)
- MAJGEN David Thomae AM, Commander 2nd Division
- MAJGEN Natasha Fox AM CSC, Head People Capability
- BRIG Ian Langford DSC and Bars, Director General Future Land Warfare
- BRIG Nicole Longley Acting Head Joint Services Support Division
- CDRE Matt Buckley CSC RAN, Director General Navy People
- BRIG Michael Bond CSC and Bar, Director General Reserves – Army
- AIRCDRE Tony Hindmarsh CSC, Director General Workforce Design and Reserves – Air Force
- Mr Neil James Executive Director, Australia Defence Association
- MAJGEN Greg Melick AO RFD FANZCN SC, National President RSL
The video presentations can be viewed via this link.
The DRA thanks the following sponsors:
- The Australian Defence Force
- The Department of Defence
- Novafast Holdings (Advanced Engineering & Construction)
- Karidis Corporation (Karidis Retirement and Hume Serviced Apartments)
- Marshall Brougham