DRA 2021 National Conference
"If you want peace, prepare for war: the contingent role and tasks for the ADF Reserves"
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, movement around Australia is again restricted and thus we will be conducting the annual conference utilising a hybrid model. Interested parties can attend the conference in person or as virtual attendees via Webinar.
The conference program provides optimal opportunities to discuss what the Government would demand from the Reserves in preparing for war; how this would be achieved by the ADF; where, in terms of role and tasks, the Government and ADF might employ the Reserves; and, when, in terms of the mobilisation process, the Reserves are likely to be deployed?
A copy of the program and timings can be downloaded here.
The National Conference and Webinar will be held on Saturday 14 August 2021 from 8:50am to 5:00pm ACST.
For those attending in person - the conference will be held at the Naval, Military and Air Force Club of South Australia, 111 Hutt Street, Adelaide, South Australia.
The conference will be followed by a joint service all ranks formal dinner from 7:00pm. Wines are being supplied by John Hermann of Yalumba and he will give a dissertation accordingly. The after-dinner speaker is Michael Davis AO, Space Lawyer. Partners are welcome.
Due to generous sponsorship, the cost for attendance at the National Conference is only $60 per person (including morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea). The cost of the three course Formal Dinner is $85 per person.
There is NO cost for virtual attendees.
In Person Attendee: If you will be attending the Conference and/or Formal Dinner, please register as follows:
Virtual Attendee: If you will be attending the conference as a virtual attendee, please register via Zoom. Note that after registering you will receive a confirmation email about joining the Webinair.
The conference will be addressed by a panel of distinguished speakers:
- Hon Peter Dutton, MP, Minister for Defence
- Hon Brendan O’Connor, MP, Shadow Minister for Defence
- Air Vice-Marshal Robert Chipman AM CSC, Head Military Strategic Commitments Division
- CDRE Michael Turner CSM RAN, Director General Force Exploration
- Mr Michael Shoebridge, Director of Defence, Strategy & National Security Program, Australian Strategic Policy Institute
- MAJGEN David Thomae AM, Commander 2nd Division
- MAJGEN Natasha Fox AM CSC, Head People Capability
- BRIG Ian Langford DSC and Bars, Director General Future Land Warfare
- BRIG Nicole Longley, Acting Head Joint Services Support Division
- CDRE Matt Buckley CSC RAN, Director General Navy People
- BRIG Michael Bond CSC and Bar, Director General Reserves – Army
- AIRCDRE Tony Hindmarsh CSC, Director General Workforce Design and Reserves – Air Force
- Mr Neil James, Executive Director, Australia Defence Association
Accomodation: Hume Serviced Apartments is generously offering Superior One Bedroom Apartments for $145 per night. Contact Hume Serviced Apartments directly via Ph: 08 8224 8888 or their website – and quote “DRA National Conference”. There are also other hotels close to the Naval, Military and Air Force Club.
Wine Tasting: Persons attending the conference in Adelaide may wish to attend two wine tasting options on Sunday 15 August as follows:
Magill Estate Heritage Tour & Wine Tasting, commences 1.00pm for 45 minutes – cost is $25; and
Ultimate Penfolds Experience Tour & Wine Tasting, commences 2.00pm for 2 hours – cost is $150.
Both tours must be pre-booked via this link.